Friday, January 7, 2011

The Time to Pray Is NOW!

By Susan Abbott
Southern Texas State Coordinator

In 2003, I heard about Moms In Touch International from a friend in our Bible study. She asked if I would like to pray in a group for our children and schools. Right away I said, “Oh, no, I don’t have time to add anything else into my schedule. Maybe when our youngest child goes to kindergarten I’ll think about it.” I tucked the idea away … as God worked on my heart.

A couple years later, our youngest son was in kindergarten and our oldest, a daughter, was a senior in high school. God was urging me, growing in me the desire to pray with other moms. The pressing needs of my daughter who was ending her high school years and preparing for what was next, motivated me to make that commitment. I began praying each week with another mom. There were times when I didn’t even know how to pray, but God used that other mom to fill in when I was at a loss. Our prayer time was a great encouragement to me. In fact, those prayer hours became—and remain—the most important thing in my schedule.

God has shown me how to let go and love my children with grace. He is also growing each of my children in ways I never expected. Our daughter wasn’t interested in going to college right out of high school, but today she is returning to her studies, as she raises our first grandchild. After fighting about going to youth group every week for the first year, our middle child is now really committed to his youth group. And, our youngest child, who worried about friends, has a great group that hangs out together.

I know firsthand the heavy burdens we take on as moms. I also know when we give them over to our loving God in prayer with other moms it changes us. We become more like Jesus.

When someone asks you to join or start a Moms In Touch group, don’t wait! Don’t lose years of praying together. The time to pray is NOW!

Are YOU committing to make time to pray for your children and their schools? Let us know by posting a comment below. Just click Comment, then hit Preview.

6 comments:

  1. YES!

    I am so grateful for a group of women who stand beside me as I raise my children, facing issues I didn't think I'd have to (the recent suicide of a close friend of my 7th Grade daughter) and holding me up as we walk through common pains and joys.

    Yet more than that, I have learned more about God and His will for both my life and the lives of my children, and raising them. Praying scripture brings me into more intimate contact with God's word- knowing that God wants me and my children to love him with our whole hearts, mind, soul and strength, that he wants us to be Holy as He is Holy, He wants our love to grow more and more in depth of knowledge and insight that we may be able to discern what is best, He wants us to press on, forgetting what is behind and pressing on to what is ahead...

    Not only that, but the time of Praise puts my life into perspective, as I shared earlier this week when praying for the suicide tragedy. By praising God even when I don't feel it, I am reminded of just how big He is, omnipresent, healer, comforter, faithful, wise, all-knowing. It puts me into the mindset of Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego - that My God CAN save me in the midst of a fiery furnace (he can answer my prayers the way my selfish heart desires, if that lines up with His perfect will) BUT EVEN IF HE DOES NOT, He is still GOD and I WILL praise Him, and I WILL NOT turn my back on worship of the only true hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, and lovely comment. Like you, I have found that hour of prayer each week to be the most precious part of my week. What a blessing it is to get to pray for our children, no matter how old they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Susan. God is faithful. Moms in Touch makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, Susan, and God has truly blessed you with being a mom and the gift of prayer and intercession! So blessed to know you and MITI!
    God bless,
    CK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just want to let you know that we have started a Moms in Touch group in Lesotho in 2010. We are starting of with two moms, and invited 4 more.
    We had a tragic death of a young boy (1 year old) and we have been praying for the family in our school. When I had to choose an attribute of God, I chose God as being our helper, and the scriptures so much helped us to focus on Him as our helper! Psalm 18:6, In my distress I called to the Lord, I cried to my God for help...
    Tomorrow will be about God our Hope, who fills us with joy and peace by the power of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I have recently joined a MIT group, and this has become the biggest blessing I have ever received! I love our moms...we've got a great group. There was lots of interest in our community, and I look forward to praying for and with these moms for years and years to come! God bless!

    ReplyDelete